This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
I have never been a fan of banana bread. GASP! I know right? I don’t know why, but ever since I was little I didn’t care for it. That all changed when I was on the hunt for a different type of banana bread. I stumbled across Once Upon a Chef blog and saw a recipe for chai spiced banana bread recipe. It has forever changed my view of banana bread!
At the time of me finding that recipe (about 4 years ago). I was only focusing on being gluten free. With some tweaking, I was able to change the recipe so I could enjoy it. I made it countless times after that and got raved reviews. No one even knew it was gluten free!
Fast forward to now. I am really not supposed to have dairy, and I should stay away from sugar. So, what I am going to do when I want my chai spiced banana bread?? Let me tell you! This girl got busy in the kitchen. I changed and tweaked a lot more of the recipe to fit my needs.
I’m not going to lie. I was nervous when it came out of the oven. I mean the bread has no dairy, no sugar added, and no gluten. But ohh boy was I pleasantly surprised. It was delicious. My family came over later that day and a whole loaf disappeared!
For this recipe I did use certain products, but I am sure you can use similar substitute.
For the alternative sugar, I used Pyure Organics Stevia Blend. (if you would like to use regular sugar use 2 cups of sugar instead of 1 cup of the stevia blend)
For the gluten-free flour I used Bob Red Mill’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
This recipe makes for two banana loaves. I never made one because my family eats them up to quick!
- 1 cup soft or melted coconut oil
- 1 cup stevia blend (like Pyure Organics)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups of all-purpose gluten free flour (I use Bob Redmills All-Purpose Gluten Free Blend)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 5 large ripe bananas - well mashed
- 1 cup walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans with coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat coconut oil and sugar for about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, gum, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, allspice, and salt.
- Add to the egg mixture and beat slowly until just combined. Add almond milk, bananas, and vanilla. Blend gently until well mixed. Stir in nuts or chocolates if using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans (try to divide them evenly). Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, 60-70 minutes.
- Let rest in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely. This bread is best enjoyed warm out of the oven or toasted.