This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
I like me a good cup of joe and I also like me a chewy chocolate chip cookie. Now put the two together and sweet Lord! That is what I call a dangerously delicious cookie. And to top off the awesomeness, it’s 100% gluten-free. You’re welcome!
I use instant coffee in the dough and it brings out such a rich caramel note to the cookies. It’s not a POW coffee taste in your mouth. You almost don’t even realize it’s coffee. It’s a subtle flavor and keeps making you go back for more. Pretty awesome for you mouth not so awesome for your waist! But this isn’t a weight loss post so back onto these COOKIES!
I want to give you a heads up on what to expect when backing these guys. These cookies are not your fluffy chocolate chip cookies. They are pretty flat with a crisp outer circle and a chewy interior. I hate when I am making a new cookie recipe and I have no idea how they should be baking.
Here are a few tips for making these cookies:
- Do not use regular coffee grounds instead of instant coffee. The coffee grounds will not dissolve and will cause the cookies to have a gritty texture and taste. You want to use instant coffee or instant espresso (use less since it’s stronger)
- I recommend using Bob Red Mill’s All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour. When it comes to making cookies it’s my favorite brands. The blend of flours really compliments cookies and muffins. I do not recommend this blend for cakes as it has a nutty flavor to it.
- You can’t skip the chill time. Trust me I tried it without chilling and you will end up with a tasty mess. At least an hour in the fridge!
I hope you enjoy these chocolate chip and coffee cookies! Drop me a comment below and share your thoughts or how your batch of cookies came out.
Chewy and delicious chocolate chip cookies with a hint of coffee!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Gluten Free all-purpose flour ( I use Bob Red Mills)
- 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 4-5 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Slowly add the vanilla and eggs.
- Combine the flour, gum, instant coffee, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Stir in semisweet chocolate chips.
- Chill in fridge for at least 1 hour
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared pans. Space the cookies about 2-inches apart on the pans. They will spread.
- Bake, until golden, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes, depending on how chewy or crunchy you like your cookies. Transfer hot cookies with a spatula to a rack to cool.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Check out my Coconut Caramel Cheesecake. YUM!!