This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Team building exercises can be a great way for your team or students to bond. Expressing their strengths and weaknesses, and help learn to communicate with each other. But many times they can be very time-consuming.
Sometimes it is appropriate to have a long-planned out exercise, but some meetings can’t afford to have a 30-60min exercise. So, today I would like to share 6 quick team building exercises that can be done within 10-15 minutes.
These exercises are age appropriate for kids and adults. They can be used in a small group or large group. Keep in mind if you have a very large group you might want to break them up into teams. That way it won’t take as long.
These exercises are fun and have little to no prep work that needs to be done by the leader or person in charge.
6 Quick Team Building Games to Energize your Team
The Birthday Line-Up (Helps teach the team to communicate in new ways)
- Have your team line up in a straight line side-by-side. Then they are asked to get in order by their birthdays (month and day only). But they are not allowed to talk verbally with each other. They must learn to creatively communicate with each other to get the line correct.
Partner Stretch (Helps the team break down barriers)
- Have each member pair up with someone else in the group. They will then have 3-5 minutes to develop 3 stretches. There are two requirements for these stretches to count.
- The partners have to be connected during the stretch
- The stretch has to have a sound effect or phrase that goes with it
- After the 3-5 minutes of planning, they will have 1 minute to teach everyone else the stretches they have come up with.
Change It Up (helps team to refocus and energize them)
- Have your team form two equal lines that are facing each other. Each person should be facing another person.
- Then have one line turn around giving the second line 1 minute to change 5 things about themselves.
- This can be anything from taking a coat off, untied shoelaces, taking your hat off or watch. Just make sure that changes are visible to everyone.
- After 1 minute have the other line turn back around. They must try to find the 5 changes.
- Then switch it and have another side do the same thing.
Bears, Cowboys, and Ninjas (fun way to energize your team before a meeting)
- This game is just like paper, rock, scissors. Each player must choose between three poses. Bears eat ninjas, ninjas beat up cowboys, and cowboys shoot bears.
- Have each person find a partner. Line up back to back with your partner and think about which character you will pose as. When you’re ready, count out and take three steps away from each other.
- On three strike a pose!
Pass the Random Fact (Have the team learn more about each other)
- You will need a small object that can be tossed. This can be a small bean bag, mini stuffed toy or a stress ball.
- Gather your team into a circle, they can either sit or stand. Each time the object is caught by a team member they must share a random fact about themselves.
- Then the must throw the object to someone new. Do this till everyone has had a turn.
The Human Knot (builds communication and teamwork skills)
- Have everyone stand in a tight circle, shoulders touching. Then have each person put out their right arm and grab someone from across the circle.
- Then have them do the same with their left arm, but make sure they grab a different person then they did with their right.
- The group will have to untangle themselves within the set time limit without letting go.
- If your group is large you can break them into small groups.
Team building exercises and ice breakers can be really effective to help your team or group grow. Give one of these a try! And I would love to hear what are some of your favorite team building exercising you have done. Leave a comment below and share.