In this article, we will have loads of fun as we look at 30+ Christian Ice Breaker questions that can be used in church, small groups, church leadership, and more!
As someone who has been in church leadership for years, I know it can be hard for a new group of believers to interact and connect. It doesn’t matter if it’s a room of leaders, a small group, Bible study, Sunday school class, or any other church event.
People get nervous and are not sure what to talk about. This is when a simple game or some ice breakers can really help people interact.
Now, If you are looking for good conversation topics or ways to break the ice when gathering with other believers, the options can feel limited, but the good news is that many great ice breakers have been successfully used by many, including myself.
Honestly, I would do ice breakers with my young adult leadership team even when they all know each other. It just helps them to connect on a deeper level and learn something new about each other.
I have gone through and written over 30 faith-based icebreakers that you can use. Take the time to ask some of these questions when you find yourself leading a gathering with other believers, and you will quickly find that the people around you will open up, and conversation will flow easily!
Before we start, I want to say that mixing non-spiritual questions with your Christian icebreakers is always nice and a fun twist. I always enjoyed mixing them for my meeting. These can be fun, silly, or thoughtful questions like:
- What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- If you could go on a dream vacation, where would it be and why?
- If you were a kitchen appliance, which one would you be and why?
- If you could go back in time and give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
- If you were given a million dollars right now, what’s the first thing you’d buy?
Faith-Based Ice Breaker Questions for Church Groups
The first list of ice breakers that are sure to work well when meeting with believers are faith-based ice breakers.
These are light-hearted but thought-provoking questions based on faith, the outlook of faith, testimonies of faith, and uplifting topics that can provoke faith in a gentle way.
Faith-based ice breakers are always fun when speaking with other believers, and they usually lead to strong and interesting conversations that build relationships on a deeper level.
Here are ten faith-based Christian ice breaker questions:
1. If you could travel back in time to witness any event in the Bible, which would it be?
2. If you had the chance to ask God one question, what would it be?
3. What breakthrough has God done for you recently?
4. Where do you think God is leading you?
5. What is your spiritual gift or gifts?
6. If you were given the opportunity to lead a Bible study, what topic would you choose and why?
7. What is your testimony?
8. Do you have a favorite Christian book or author?
9. What have you learned about God’s character from challenging life experiences?
10. If you could have dinner with any biblical character, who would it be and why?
Asking someone what their gifting is inspires them to think about where their spiritual strengths are and what God has given them. Asking a person where God has brought breakthrough recently provokes them to remember the faithfulness of God in their life.
Asking someone for their testimony always draws out good conversation and strengthens relationships. Every believer has a testimony to share, regardless of how simple it is, and every Christian’s testimony is powerful.
This type of question is ideal for small groups and youth groups, as well as church gatherings.
Light Hearted Christian Ice Breaker Questions
Sometimes, you don’t want to go in too deep in your group or meeting. This could be for a number of reasons. So, we are going to break the ice gently here!
These icebreaker questions still have a spiritual touch but without getting too personal. They are light-hearted, fun, and interesting, and they are sure to help and encourage you to get to know your spiritual family better.
Here are ten Christian ice breaker questions:
1. What is your favorite book in the Bible?
2. What are you thankful for from this year?
3. Who is your favorite Christian musical artist?
4. If you could meet anyone from the Bible, who would it be?
5. What are some of your favorite Bible verses?
6. Do you know what your name means?
7. What was the best gift you were ever given?
8. Which miracle in the Bible amazes you the most and why?
9. What is your favorite Bible story?
10. Which book of the Bible have you learned the most from?
Church Ice Breakers Questions
Church ice breaker questions are perfect for church gatherings, lunches, coffee meetings, and all other manners of fun gatherings with believers.
These questions are chosen to learn about a person’s life in the Lord, what they enjoy about their life in the Lord, how they read their Bible, who they are as a person, and where the Lord is leading them.
These are important things to know when getting to know someone better and on a deeper level, and these church ice breakers can help with this significantly.
Here are ten good church ice breakers:
1. What is your favorite thing about church?
2. What is your favorite book of the Bible?
3. Who is your favorite person in the Bible?
4. What is your favorite worship song right now?
5. Which Bible translation is your favorite?
6. How have you grown in the past year?
7. What is the kindest thing someone has done for you?
8. Where do you envision yourself in five years?
9. How do you see God’s plan unfolding in your life currently?
10. How do you approach Bible study and what methods have you found most effective?
Finding out which translation a person reads, which is their favorite book of the Bible, and who their favorite person in the Bible is are all great topics of conversation.
Every believer loves talking about their favorite people in the Bible, their favorite book in the Bible, and what makes them special.
Finding out if they have traveled or feel called to a specific nation is another great topic, as this can show you what someone is carrying in their heart and even how you can stand in prayer with them.
These ice breaker questions are designed for believers and can teach you a lot about the people in your congregation and group. These questions will lead you to laughter, fun, and deeper connection and to learn more about your spiritual family than you knew before.
Just like team building, I believe ice breakers are just a great thing to add to your group. They don’t have to be complicated or take a long time.
It is important to engage in these types of questions when gathering with believers, especially if you are new to a community or seek to get to know the people around you on a deeper level.
Melissa is a passionate minister, speaker and an ongoing learner of the Bible. She has been involved in church and vocational ministry for over 18 years. And is the founder of Think About Such Things. She has the heart to equip the saints by helping them get into the Word of God and fall more in love with Jesus. She also enjoys family, cooking, and reading.
She has spoken in churches in California, Oregon, Texas, and Mexico and has been featured in Guidepost Magazine and All Recipes Magazine. Read More…