This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
A look at the biblical meaning of baby dream and what they could mean. We will look at different aspects of baby dreams like giving birth dreams, pregnancy dreams, and multiple babies in dreams.
Many people have baby dreams. Even men have dreams of having or carrying a baby. I know for me personally I have had tons of these dreams. And when I do….I pay attention!
I usually take these dreams in prayer and ask the Lord if He is trying to tell me something about the dream. And today I want to help you have a greater understanding of what your baby dream could mean.
Basic Dream Advice
Before we start digging into the Bible and getting deeper understanding on what a baby symbolically means. It’s important to clarify a couple things.
Number 1 – I am not here to interpret your dream. My goal is to help you gain clarity to your dream. There is only one who the interpretation belongs too…and that is God!
They said to him, “We have had dreams, and there is no one to interpret them.” And Joseph said to them, “Do not interpretations belong to God? Please tell them to me.” – Genesis 40:8 ESV
Yes, God uses people at times to bring the interoperation. But it is the Lord is the one who gives the revelation of it’s meaning.
Number 2 – Not every dream you have comes from God. Some dreams are from the soul (desires, emotions, and more) and some come from the enemy. We must be wise as we navigate the world of dream interpretation. Ask the Lord for discernment and confirmation if this dream is from Him.
These two very basic dream interpretation tips are very important.
Baby Dreams: What does the Bible Say
When looking through the Bible we see numerous different types of dreams. None of them involved a baby. But babies are mentioned throughout the old and New Testament.
And from there we can look at the symbolic meaning they carry.
The Symbolic and Spiritual Meaning of a Baby
I have a collection of Christian Dream Interpretation articles and symbolism can sometimes be tricky. But the spiritual meaning of babies is easier to understand.
And that’s because a lot of what the Bible says, is how we perceive babies in our modern culture.
A baby is a new life that we adore and take care of them. Babies can’t fend on themselves and need us to take care of them. They grow by using feeding and nurturing them.
Here is table to help you look see certain scriptures convey:
|Baby Symbolic Meaning||Bible Reference|
|A baby can symbolize growth and expansion: New season or project||Isaiah 54|
|A Young or New Christian:|
A baby can symbolize immaturity
|Ephesians 4:14, Hebrews 5:13, 1 Corinthians 14:20, 1 Peter 2:1-2|
|Innocence||Matthew 21:16, Job 8:9|
|Early Stages – In need of help, guidance, and caring||Numbers 11:12, Job 8:9, Exodus 2:6, 1 Peter 2:1-2|
I thought it would be helpful to break up certain types of baby dreams or what could happen with a baby within a dream. Again these are not meant to be interpretation. You have to look at everything going on in the dream not just the moment with the baby.
Holding A Baby in a Dream
Holding a baby could mean that you are carrying something new or young. This could be a new relationship, job, ministry, project…etc.
On the flip side holding or carrying a baby could also mean you are holding on to immature thoughts or patterns in your life.
Some questions to ask yourself…
- What was the baby doing while you were carrying him/her
- Was there anything baby was wearing that stood out?
Dream of Playing with a Baby
Playing with a baby could mean that you are entertaining or enjoying something new in your life.
Some questions to ask yourself…
- How were you playing with the baby?
- Were toys or other objects involved?
- Was the baby laughing, crying, etc?
Dream of Feeding a Baby
Feeding a baby is an act of nurturing and care. This aids in the babies growth. This could mean that you will be “feeding” giving time, energy, etc to something new in your life. Like I mentioned above this could be a new relationship, new job, new project etc…
Depending on the dream you feeding a baby could also mean feeding into immature thoughts or actions.
Some questions to ask yourself…
- What were you feeding the baby?
- Was it milk, baby food, or solid food?
- How did the baby respond to the food?
Dream about Protecting a Baby
Protecting a baby in a dream could mean many things. One big question to ask is…
- What you are protecting the baby from? Is it a person? Creature? The elements? From it self? Etc… this really can change the meaning behind this.
This type of dream could be warning to pray protection over something that is new in your life. Again on the flip side this could also mean you are protecting immaturity or weak area in a new relationship, project, job, etc…
Biblical Meaning of Giving Birth in a Dream
I’m giving this topic is own little section as it kind of merges baby dreams with pregnancy dreams. If you are dreaming of giving birth this could very much mean that you are about to birth something new in your life or something has been birthed. Again this could mean a multitude of things. Some examples would be a new job, project, relationship, hobby, ministry or volunteer opportunity, and so much more.
It’s important to note that sometimes God is birthing something within us and no an outward thing. This could be a desire or passion for something. This is when prayer is key to getting clarity from the Lord.
Some questions to ask yourself…
- Where were you giving birth? Was the location significant?
- Was the labor hard or easy?
- Was there a doctor or someone helping you?
- Were other people there? If so who…
- What was the gender of the baby?
- How was the health of the baby?
- How did you feel about giving birth? Were you excited, unemotional, scared, etc..?
In the baby dream I share in this article it is one about giving birth and what happens to the baby. I hope it’s helpful as you read it.
When a Baby Dream is a Soul Dream
One thing I have encountered many times especially with women. Is that when they desire to have a child they start to dream of having babies or even pregnancy dreams.
When we have a strong emotional desire for something we can easily dream about it. Not all the time but it does happen. And if you want a baby and have been trying to conceive, having a baby dream is very natural.
Now the tricky thing is discerning whether this is a dream from the Lord and Him giving you faith and hope that you will have a child. Or is this dream stirred up because of an emotional desire??
I can’t answer this for you since each dreamer and dream is different. What I would encourage you to do is ask the Lord for clear confirmation and discernment. If the dream becomes repetitious I would then start to pray and ask the Lord if their is a meaning to this and what you should do about it.
How to Interpret Baby Dreams
Here are some helpful steps you can take to help you interpret a dream with a baby or babies in it. You will see a lot of questions through these steps. This is to help you break down your dream and get clarity.
Baby dreams can mean a lot of things so be mindful to what God is trying to say to you.
- Write the dream down (or record it audible on your computer or phone) and make note of anything prominent in the dream. (People, colors, objects, sound, location, etc…)
And especially anything to do about the baby…
Key Baby Questions To Ask:
- Was the baby your baby?
- How old was the baby? Was it an infant, or toddler?
- Was the baby a boy or girl?
- Were you pregnant in the dream?
- Were you giving birth in the dream?
- How did you feel about the baby?
- Did the baby have a name?
- Was the baby dressed a certain way?
- What did the baby do?
- Was the baby able to speak to you?
- What was the mood of the baby? Happy, crying, mad…etc
- Look into the scripture about symbols you saw in your dream. Take note of this info and if something is quickened in your spirit than write that down.
- Start to pray about the dream and ask God to bring clarity about what these baby symbolizes and represents in your life. If you sense anything from Him write it down. This is also a good time to reflect and see if anything new has started in your life. This could be new project at home/work/ministry, relationships, and more.
- After you have done step three I would encourage you to also grab a good friend or family member that loves Jesus and knows the Word. Tell them what you’re sensing and feeling about the dream. Ask for their thoughts and what they feel. I would encourage you to ask for prayer during this time as well. This process can be really helpful. They can sometimes see things you don’t see.
- Pray over what you feel the dream and the baby could mean and take action if you feel the Lord is leading to you.
My Baby Dream
I have had many baby dreams throughout the years and I pay attention when I do. I know it usually means God is showing me something that is coming or something that is happening right now.
I do want to share one dream I had about 8 years ago. It was so powerful that I remember it to this day and it’s meaning.
I was 9 months pregnant and I began to go into labor. I was placed into a hospital room with bright lights and doctors around me. Within moments I had given birth to a beautiful baby girl. But she was still born. I cried and cried in the dream as I held my little girl in my arms. I was heartbroken that I would never see her grow up. I then woke up.
During this season in my I had started a young adult ministry and it was about a year and half going strong, but God called me move to another city. I had to let go of the ministry and no one was able to take it on. Leading the ministry to be completely dissolved.
When I had the dream I knew the baby was the young adult ministry. I had incubated it and it was growing. But I never got to see it grow and develop like I had hope and dreamed. The ministry died. I had such big plans for it.
What I didn’t realize was how much it actually hurt inside to let it go and my team. The dream let me realized that I had a lot of emotional pain towards the loss of my baby/ministry.
This led me to have some heart to heart times with the Lord and for Him to bring healing into my life. I also processed with those close to me. It was a hard transition to lay a dream and a ton of hardworking at the feet of Jesus.
Well, I sure do hope that learning about Biblical meaning baby dreams has brought you some clarity. I encourage you to keep pressing into God. And He will give you the answers you truly need.
If you would like to leave a comment you can do so below. I would personally LOVE to hear from you and what God is doing in your life.