In this article we will explore dreams about frogs and what they mean. We will take a Biblical look at what God’s Word says about frogs and understand the symbolic and spiritual meaning of these dreams.
This article is a new addition to my Christian Dream Interpretation collection. Frog dreams can me a common occurrence and very eye opening to what is going on in the spiritual realm.
I recently published an article on Frogs in the Bible. That article give a nice overview on the topic and is a great read. I encourage you to check it out especially if you are having dreams about frogs.
But my sole purpose for this post is to focus on the dream aspect of a frog or even toad dreams. My hope is to bring some clarity and understanding as to why you are having this or these kinds of dreams.
Dreams About Frogs
How to Use This Article
As we progress through this article you will find different sections. Right below this, we will look at an overview of what frogs symbolize. Do not skip this part. You will never fully grasp what your dream is about without understanding what the Bible says about the topic.
But after that we will look at some specific type of frog dreams and what they could potentially mean.
Then you will find instructions on how you can interpret your frog dream. It will have simple steps that will help you. I firmly believe that if you seek God on this matter…He will give you the interpretation and understanding of the dream.
Just to be clear, I can’t interpret the dream for you. I get bombarded with requests and I just don’t have the time or energy to do this. I have kept dream interpretations to just the local church where I live. I am sorry about this as I wish I could help everyone. My hope and prayer are that you also develop this gift with the Lord.
At the very end you will find a selection of other articles on the topic of dreams.
What Do Frogs Symbolize?
Now, let’s take a look at what Bible says what frogs mean? This is what we would consider the symbolic meaning or spiritual meaning or even the prophetic meaning. It’s important we know what this is before we go into trying to interpret a frog dream.
The Word of God is our anchor and helps us to stay in truth and in spiritual health. If you Google frog dreams you will get a slew of search results of demonic and new age junk that will try to convince you what frogs symbolizes.
This stuff would have been right up ancient Egyptians and Greek-Romans alley. But as Christians our source must come from the Bible.
This symbolism also works for toads as well. As all toads are frogs but not all frogs are toads. (source)
Frogs Symbolize False Gods
Frogs are mentioned in 4 accounts in the Bible. The first account in Exodus 8. This is the story of 10 plagues and one of them being a plague of frogs.
The Egyptians were inundated with them. They were found in houses and even in the palace. Pharaoh asked Moses to pray that they would stop. Once the frogs died the Egyptians had to pile them up in heaps and remove them because the smelled so bad. (Exodus 8:14)
The two remaining references in Psalms are a reminder of the plague.
Psalm 78:45 NIV – 45 He sent swarms of flies that devoured them, and frogs that devastated them.
Psalm 105:30 NIV – 30 Their land teemed with frogs, which went up into the bedrooms of their rulers.
God didn’t send frogs for no reason. It was actually to display His power, sovereignty, and truth to both the Egyptians and the Israelites.
The Egyptians of that day worshipped a goddess known as Heqet or Heket. She was basically a frog goddess, having the head and sometimes the body of a frog. How attractive.
She was worshipped for fertility (more of that below), water, and life. They believe that she was the one that brought the rain every year so that the Nile river would provide water and food. Frogs were considered sacred because of her.
So, we can see how frogs symbolism a false deity. This, for me really comes down to it being demonic in nature.
Frogs Symbolize Sexual Promiscuity
Frogs in ancient times were considered a sign of fertility. This is because of the sexual and reproductive behavior of the animal. I find it extremely interesting how many ancient civilizations thousands miles apart had a frog like deity that was known for fertility.
As a Christian this makes me think that this is an evil spirit that has taken that form.
Here are some historical accounts from exploratorium.com:
- “The water goddess Heket often appeared as a woman with the head of a frog. Frogs were also the symbol of the midwife goddess Heqet, who ruled conception and birth, and Egyptian women often wore metal amulets in the form of frogs to enlist her good favor.“
- “In pre-Colombian Mesoamerica, many tribes worshipped a goddess known as Ceneotl, the patron of childbirth and fertility, who took the form of a frog or a toad with many udders.“
- “The early Aztecs saw the toad as Tlaltecuhti, the earth mother goddess, who embodied the endless cycle of death and rebirth. She appears either as a real toad or in quasi-human form, with clawed feet and a gaping fanged mouth, and her joints are adorned with human skulls. She usually appears in a squatting position, giving birth to the new world, while dying souls pass through her fanged mouth to the netherworld.”
- The ancient Chinese saw the toad as a predominantly female force, a negative “yin” in opposition to the positive male “yang.”
- The Hindu to this day look at frogs as sacred creatures and even perform marriage ceremonies so that it will bring the rain.
Frogs Symbolize Unclean Spirits
The sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up to prepare the way for the kings from the East. 13 Then I saw three impure spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet. 14 They are demonic spirits that perform signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty. – Revelation 16:12-14
This passage in Revelation makes it pretty clear that these demonic/unclean spirits looked like frogs. They come out of their mouths making me think they use words to gain power and they perform signs.
Types of Frog Dreams
Ok, we have now explored what frogs spiritually symbolize. It’s time to look at some common dream with frogs in them. I will give you my suggestions and what they could represent and have you ask questions. These are generalizations. I don’t know the specifics of your dream. At the end of the day YOU need to get before the Lord and pray about it.
No matter the dream….it should be covered in PRAYER.
A frog dream will most likely be a warning dream. It’s God’s way of protecting you, by revealing something the enemy wants to do. This is not 100% of the case, but be mindful of it. The same goes for snake dreams.
Dream of Frog Chasing Me
A dream about a frog chasing you could represent a spirit that is trying to harass you. It also could represent sexual temptation or a seducing spirit. Some key questions to ask yourself are:
- Where was I at when I was running? Was the location significant?
- Was anyone else in the dream?
- Was I fearful?
- Any specific characteristics about the frog? Size, color, shape?
- Did the frog catch up to me?
Dream of Frog Jumping On You
A frog jumping on you could represent something (spirit or person operating under a spirit) wanting to overtake you or latch on to you.
Key questions to ask:
- Where on your body did frog jump on you? Was it on your back where you are blind to it? On your head (effecting your thought life)? On your hands (effecting your work)? etc…
- How did you react to frog jumping on you? Did you enjoy it’s presence or were fearful?
- Was there anything specific about the frog?
Dream of a Frog Attacking You
This should be somewhat self explanatory. If a frog or any animal is attacking you in a dream this is a call for prayer. Take the symbolism above and ask the Lord to highlight to you what kind of unclean spirit it is. I would also encourage you to grab a strong Christian friend to pray over and with you.
Dreaming of Frogs in the House
Dreaming of a frog in your house could represent something (a spirit) was invited (legally let in by sin) or invaded (illegally – trespassing to harass you). I would encourage you to pray and see if God highlights anything to you.
Key questions to ask:
- Where was the frog located in the house? Which room? Bedroom represent intimacy, covenant, rest. Kitchen represents a place where food and nourishment is provided. For example a frog in the kitchen could represent you have been feeding yourself with things that are unclean. Maybe a show you are watching, or something you are listening too?
- What did you do when you saw the frog?
- Was the frog doing something specifically?
- Any key characteristics about the frog?
Dream about Frog Being Dead or Killing a Frog
A dream about a dead or killing a frog could represent that you were victorious over something. But depending on the specifics a dead frog could represent something conquered but it’s effects still remain (the body).
Key questions to ask:
- Where was the dead frog?
- How did you kill the frog?
- How did you feel in the dream?
- Where was the location of the dead frog or where did you kill it?
How to Interpret Dreams about Frogs
Let’s get to the fun part…interpretation!! When it comes to interpreting your dreams we must remember who is number one in helping us:
Then Joseph said to them, “Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell me your dreams.” – Genesis 40:8
The interpretation belongs to the Lord! I can help us much as a can teaching you what I have learned from God’s Word but at the end of the day it’s Jesus who is gonna help you.
It’s important to note that dreams can be very personal to the dreamer and so can their interpretation. It’s not always super clear and there is no formula.
Symbols can mean one thing this time around and another thing another time.
This is why I believe you need two key things. An understanding Biblical symbolism which is important for us as we seek out the interpretation. It helps ground us in His Word. The second thing is guidance from the Holy Spirit. You can know all the symbolism but if He is not revealing and connecting it for you. It won’t make sense.
These are some KEY steps you should take when interpreting a dream with frog(s) in it.
- Write the dream out and make note of anything prominent in the dream. Especially the frog, but also colors, locations, people, feelings…etc
- Grab your Bible and look into certain symbols you see in the dream. Make note and if something is quickened in your spirit than write that down.
- Begin to pray about the dream and ask the Lord to bring clarity about what the frog symbolizes. Get specific with Him! If you sense anything from the Lord jot it down on paper or in a journal. Be OK with Him telling you that this dream wasn’t from Him.
- Share the dream with a mature brother or sister in Christ. Let them know what your sensing and ask for their advice. I would encourage you to ask for prayer as well. Don’t shy away from this step, especially if the dream really bothers you or if you are having repetitious dreams.
- Pray over everything from step 1-4 and what you feel about the dream. Now take action if you feel the Lord is leading to you. This could mean stop watching something, repenting, or just spending more time with Jesus!
Can a Frog in a Dream Mean Something Positive?
You may have read through this whole post and thought sheesh…nothing positive. I don’t see it that way. If the dream is a warning that is a positive as God is revealing something to you so you can pray and not experience bondage. Or He could be calling you to pray for someone else. He is a loving God wanting to help us.
Second point, a frog in your dream can very much mean something outside of what I shared today. God can use that symbol in different ways. But then again His Word is a foundation and we should heed it.
More About Dreams
If you would like to grow more on the topics of dream please check out the post below or visit my Christian Dream Interpretation page.
I sure hope after reading this article that dreaming about frogs isn’t as confusing and that you got some clarity. Feel free to leave me a comment below. I would love to hear from you!
Melissa is a passionate minister, speaker and an ongoing learner of the Bible. She has been involved in church and vocational ministry for over 18 years. And is the founder of Think About Such Things. She has the heart to equip the saints by helping them get into the Word of God and fall more in love with Jesus. She also enjoys family, cooking, and reading.
She has spoken in churches in California, Oregon, Texas, and Mexico and has been featured in Guidepost Magazine and All Recipes Magazine. Read More…